Declaration of independence and qualifications
The AA1000 Assurance Standard (2003) requires us to make a statement with respect to our independence of Novo Nordisk A/S and our qualifications for undertaking the assurance engagement. The scope, the basis of opinion and our conclusions are presented in our Independent Assurance Report on the Non-financial Reporting 2008 comprising the Management Statement, the Management Report, the Non-financial accounting policies and the Consolidated non-financial statements on page 2-50, 89 - 99 and 113 in Novo Nordisk’s Annual Report 2008.
Our recommendations for improvement of non-financial performance are reported in ‘How we are accountable’ at annualreport2008.novonordisk.com. As in 2007, no significant recommendations were issued in 2008.
Our assurance team possesses the requisite skills and experience within financial and non-financial assurance, sustainability management, social and environmental issues as well as knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry to undertake this assignment. Our assurance team has been drawn from our Sustainable Business Solutions practice, which comprises individuals with educational and professional backgrounds within e.g. financial and non-financial auditing, assurance and reporting, environmental engineering and management, corporate sustainability management, communication, business, the natural sciences and the social sciences, as well as individuals from our financial audit services department.
- Mogens Nørgaard Mogensen, State Authorised Public Accountant, engagement leader and signs-off the Independent Assurance Report on non-financial Reporting 2008.
- Lars Baungaard, State Authorised Public Accountant, engagement co-leader.
- Thomas Scheiwiller, Dr.Sc. (nat.), global sustainability practitioner and expert.
- Jens Pultz Pedersen, M.Sc. (Engineering), project manager and responsible for planning and implementing the engagement.
- Anne Mette Christiansen, M.Sc. (Business, language and culture) project manager on stakeholder dialogue with respect to AA1000AS (2003).
- Pernille Risgaard, M.Sc. (International Environmental Science), environmental and health and safety expert.
- Martin Lunow Hylsenberg Pedersen, M.Sc. (Management Accounting and Communication), CSR expert.
- Karine Audeguy, M.Sc. in Environmental Engineering, environmental expert.
As financial auditors of Novo Nordisk A/S we are required to meet the independence requirements of international professional standard setting and national regulatory bodies. In addition, PricewaterhouseCoopers’ own Global Independence Policy, which in some areas exceeds those of international professional standard setting and regulatory bodies, is applicable to the firm, the partners and its professional staff, including all members of the assurance team. In general, we conduct business without any financial interests in, or personal or business relationships with, our audit clients and their affiliates.
Gladsaxe, 28 January 2009